Safety deposit boxes
Eko-in, a Mt. Koya temple lodging that boasts of 1,000 years of history, provides Japanese-style guestrooms, a beautiful garden, and free Wi-Fi.
The tatami-floored guestrooms with shoji sliding doors feature comfortable futons, an LCD TV, and a safety deposit box. A communal bathroom is provided.
In the immediate vicinity, there are historic Buddhist temples such as Kongobu-ji Temple (10 minutes away on foot), as well as a beautiful surrounding area where guests can enjoy hiking.
It is just a 3 minute walk to the Ichinohashi entrance of the historic Okunoin. The temple lodging has a lounge with a computer corner.
Buddhist vegetarian cuisine is provided in guestrooms at the designated time.
Groups of 4 or more guests can enjoy meals in the Japanese-style dining room (chairs can be provided for requests in advance).
- This facility is a temple lodging. Please be aware that this is different from the standard hotel, ryokan, or guesthouse.
*Temple lodgings were originally accommodation facilities for Buddhist priests and practitioners, but they now also accept regular tourists.
A Buddhist temple is also located on site, so both staff and priests will offer hospitality to guests.
- Guests that reserve a plan that includes meals at this temple lodging can enjoy Buddhist vegetarian cuisine.
*Buddhist vegetarian cuisine follows Buddhist precepts and is prepared with vegetables, beans, and other plant derived ingredients.
- When staying at this temple lodging, guests can experience the following.
- Sutra Transcription: In your guestroom, use the writing brush and ink to transcribe Buddhist sutras.
*Free of charge. After making a reservation, please pick up the required tools from the office.
- Religious Service: Observe a ritual where a Buddhist priest chants sutras, etc.
*Every morning from 6:30. This time is subject to change during the winter.
- Ajikan Meditation: Meditate in a group while looking at the Sanskrit symbol for “A”.
*Every day from 16:30. Requires reservation in advance. Please participate in comfortable clothing.
*There are also pamphlets in English available for guests. English-speaking interpreters may also be arranged.
- Okunoin Night Tour: Take a night stroll through Okunoin, the holy ground of Mount Koya.
*Tours led by a guide require a fee.
The above experiences are current as of Aug. 17, 2017.
Provision of the experiences may be cancelled or experiences may not be available depending on the day.
And depending on the type of experience, advance notice or a fee may be required, so for those interested in the experiences, please make sure to contact the temple lodging in advance for details.
Extra beds are dependent on the room you choose. Please ask the property for more details.
Safety deposit boxes